Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Colovich Garden 08

We've done a garden again this year. This time we have a little more than our grow box that Garrett built last year.

This is last year's grow box garden


We planted almost the whole length of our yard on the other side this year. It's been pretty fun getting to have spinach salad (lots and lots, of spinach salad) whenever we want. Garrett absolutely loves it. He asks me to make it pretty much every day. I think we will be sick of spinach by the end of the summer. At least I might. I've been trying to come up with other ways to use the spinach since we have so much. We planted the high yield kind. Last year I vowed I wouldn't do it again but we had seeds left over so we used them up. Boy is it yielding!


This year's grow box garden.




We've also been able to have some lettuce (which is getting bitter from the heat now) and a few carrots since Garrett planted them pretty early this year. Everything else like the corn, beans, onions, tomatoes, and squash was planted rather late. I've helped by weeding as much as I can and watering. We are just starting to get some tomatoes,
that will hopefully turn red soon and I noticed this morning that some zucchini is ready to be picked. I'm so excited! Tomatoes from the garden and zucchini bread are my all time favorite summer treats! YAY!!!
P.S. I just noticed that last year's garden looks so huge and lush and that's because that picture was taken at like the end of the season when everything was just about done growing. I just wanted to add that. :)

4 comments:

JaNeil said...

I am glad to hear your garden is doing well. Isn't it so much fun to pick something and then go eat it!! I am also thrilled to be having our garden producing. Right now we are having a huge rain storm. I don't think it has rained for months. It is much needed and a nice change. Good luck with your garden and weeding. The weeding is always the "fun" part.

Chelsea Johnson said...

Fresh tomatoes are my all-time favorite thing to eat...EVER!! You are so great to have a garden, its my goal for next year! Did Brit tell you that we're going to try to get together? Not sure how you're feeling at this point or how far you want to travel, but it would be so fun if we got to see you!

Brittany said...

Wow, very domestic you are!!! I can't ever seem to keep anything alive. I either water it too much or not enough!:) But I do love fresh fruits & veggies in the summer!! Yummy!!

Sarah Greener said...

How fun! I wish that we had a summer garden! I love home grown fresh veggies... Wow, today is the 28th you should be havin that girl soon.. Unless you already have!!!